Fixing Font Issues in macOS
Getting rid of the annoying 'name' table usability error.
I started running into issues with some fonts since upgrading to macOS Ventura.
The biggest issue for me happened when I tried installing Metro Sans, a paid font we use at Synq. And only with some weights, which seemed random to me.
Font Book kept blocking the font and throwing these errors in the validation report:
- 'name' table usability
- 'post' table usability
- 'name' table structure
In addition to that, it was renaming the font to just
ø — the reason for which I still don't understand.
Here's how I solved it:
Shout-out to Jeff from iwebss.com for the original solution.
- Download and install Typelight
- Open the conflicting font
- Go to Font > Rename Font
- Choose "Remove all non-english entries"
- Fill in the details for your font. In my case they were:
Family name: Metro Sans
Sub family: Bold (or Semi-Bold, Light, Regular, etc.)
Full name: Metro Sans Bold
- Click Rename to apply the changes
- Go to File > Save As (Cmd + S)
- Save it to any folder you like
- Go to the newly created font and double-click it to install it with Font Book
- The font should be working across all apps now
Hope it helps!